We absolutely adore Baileys Irish Cream here at Freathy; not only does it taste delicious as a drink (neat or over ice) but also adds a velvety rich whiskey smoothness to so many dessert recipes including cheesecakes, cupcakes, gateaux, ice cream and all manner of sweets and truffles. But our absolute favourite has to be Baileys Chocolate Mousse…….
Combining the sweet flavour of Baileys with the rich intensity of chocolate to make a deliciously light, fluffy mousse is our idea of heaven and perfect at any time of year, but we think it adds an extra special touch to Christmas festivities.
Try it for yourself with our favourite recipe from Cathy Trochelman, author of our go-to blog for recipe inspiration Lemon Tree Dwelling
Serves:6 (1/2 cup) servings
• 2 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin
• 2 tablespoons cold water
• ¼ cup boiling water
• ½ cup sugar
• 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
• 1½ cup double cream, very cold
• ½ cup Bailey’s, very cold
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Before starting to mix the mousse, prepare the bowl and beaters by placing them in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
2. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small bowl; stir and let it stand for 1 minute to soften.
3. Add boiling water and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Let stand to cool.
4. Stir together the sugar and cocoa in a small mixing bowl and add the double cream.
5. Beat at a medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour in the Bailey’s, vanilla and the gelatin mixture, beating continuously at high speed until the mixture is well combinedand soft peaks form.
6. Spoon into serving dishes and put in the fridge to chill. (For a faster setting mousse, chill the dishes before filling them).
7. Chill for 1 hour or until ready to serve.